Google+

Translate

07 July 2013

A little something on the side - Project: Botanic Endeavour.

What?

I like to keep busy and have random shit to do, keeps the min occupied and stops me from doing other more random increasingly stupid shit.

So what I've got sitting here in my window, is a plant pot, into which I put some home made compost and some seeds. added some water, and they started growing!

Why? - Why not? Fuck you.

Essential skills for the end of the world / zombie apocalypse, collapse of civilization as we know it.. etc.

So as the story goes, I was making a sandwich, chopping a tomato n decided "I'm gonna plant these seeds n see if I can grow my own tomatoes" so after eating aforementioned sandwich, I set to work googling information about growing plants from seeds, especially tomatoes.

Now you can't just stick the seeds in the soil straight out of the tomato, as they're covered in a protective layer of gooey jelly stuff(yes that is the correct scientific terminology) first you got to get rid of that. one way I found suggested fermenting it off, leaving you with just the seed. Since I'm all about fermentation as per: ye olde meade making of i decided to try that.

I stuck the seeds into a plastic drinks bottle with a little water then sit them in the window for a few days and let nature take it's course, after a few days they were ready, Poured off the water and goo, and dried the seeds with some tissue paper.

Next, I put the seeds inside some tissue paper then put the paper into some small pots (yogurt pots or drinks bottles cut in half) added a little water so the tissue was damp but not swimming, and left them in a closet for a few more days.

Checked on them after a few days and the seeds had sprouted roots, added some more water and waited another day or two and they had leaves, or at least the beginnings of leaves.

Removed the new plants carefully from the tissue paper trying to to break the roots and added them to a pot full of home made compost, which is rought and lumpy kinda stuff but seems to work well.

Here's what they look like now after a few weeks: of just watering roughly once a day...


There are a few other things growing from the compost, I'm not really sure what they are but meh whatever. there's 6 tomato plants growing, i did remove some grass that had started growing I'll leave the other things in there n see what they turn out to be. i did plant some orange seeds in the same pot(for the hell of it) see below:

Out of curiosity I also tried this with orange and lemon seeds not too sure how well this is working yet though. but the lemon seeds didn't work at all they just went all gooey and nasty after a while. However some of the orange seeds did start doing their thing, so I planted them with the tomato seeds;

Of course in my divine wisdom I did not mark or label their positions i think one may be growing but not sure. We'll see how that plays out.

What's Next?

I will probably need to separate the plants into their own pots / growing areas soon they seem to be growing quite fast. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with them, make up a mini DIY indoor greenhouse or maybe put them outside.

Either way cool lil experiment, I'm pleased with the results so far, so I'll do more updates maybe if I end up making the indoor greenhouse or actually getting some Tomatoes from them. And if the orange seed actually grows.. Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment